Diploma of Counselling
Studying our Counselling Course at 4Life College will give you the ability to become a skilled and aware counsellor, as well as provide you with skills that will be extremely helpful in a variety of career pathways. If you are planning to embark on a career in counselling, are looking to improve your current career or want to further your own personal development our framework ensures you will be getting the most out your studies.
As part of our counselling course you will become familiar with evidence-based counselling models, strategies and therapies as well as techniques from strength-based therapy.
These are some of the concepts you will encounter:
- Feedback Informed Therapy Framework
- Narrative Therapy
- Positive psychology
Practice your skills in our Student Clinic!
After receiving plenty of face-to-face training, role plays and simulations to make sure you feel ready and confident to take the next step, you will be able to apply what you have learned in our student clinic. Our student clinic is a supervised real-life counselling clinic that allows you to use your newly acquired skills with real clients.
Some of the skill students will be learning are:
- Building a therapeuticalliance with your client
- Reflective practice
- Micro-skills of counsellinge.g. listening, attending, communication skills, questioning
- Specific counselling interventions
- A good grounding in legal and ethical practice for working in Australia
- Understanding mental health and the challenges of mental illness
- Case management
- Interpersonal communication skills
- History of counselling theory
- Networking and referral
- The gift of supervision and being a self–reflective counsellor
For details of counselling course units of competency, please click here.
This counselling course can be undertaken without prior qualifications.
It is recommended that students have sufficient work or life experience and accordingly students need to be at minimum 20 years of age to study this qualification.
Diploma students must be able to bring in a laptop or tablet device to class (it will not be supplied).
Students must also fulfil the College’s requirements for English proficiency.